Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Writing, Again




What a winter. I mean, really. It was a little more treacherous than I expected, and I was aiming low. Being back at work with two kids out in the world, a.k.a. immersed in cold weather germs, almost sunk me. I'm still nursing Sam - even while I muddled through strep (twice). The wee ones suffered, too. Strep (and a strep carrier), as well as head colds, double ear infections, visits from the vomit gods, pink eye, unexplained fevers. Upon re-reading that last sentence, I am a bit horrified. It sounds like we let Sam and Willa suck on the bottom of our boots.

Work hasn't been easy either. Way too many deadlines smushed around many, many snow days within a two month span. I was trying to wean myself off of sugar earlier in the year, but this confluence of events sent me right back to the beginning - running into the basement or upstairs to unwrap chocolates and shove them in my mouth before anyone asked after what I was eating.

But, all-in-all, the chitlins are thriving. Willa turned six and Sam turned one - both within a week of each other. And, spring. SPRING! March, please-please-please have mercy on me. Oh, and thanks for the daffodil and iris sprouts. They help. In the meantime, I will be out in Sugar Hollow squawking directives like 'Wash your hands!' and 'Don't cough in my eyeball!'

Stuff:

I have beefed up my kitchen apothecary this winter to help my immune system out. I made this elderberry syrup. (I added four slices of astragalus root and two cinnamon sticks, as well) Also, FIRE CIDER. Rosemary Gladstar's recipe is here. I take a shot of this when I feel like I am getting something and it has helped tremendously. Also, sleep, fresh air, probiotics, flax oil, kombucha and warm water with Bragg's apple cider vinegar and raw honey. (Sounds gross, but feels awesome when you are sick!)

Farmstead Ferments. (That is all you need to know.)

The upside of all of the home time/sick time has been lots of extra time with the kids and lots of reading. A few favorites from the past two months: Turn Around Bright Eyes by Rob Sheffield, Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt, Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead and tiny beautiful things by Cheryl Strayed.

Music - Morning Phase by Beck, Blood Orange by Cupid Deluxe, After the Disco by Broken Bells, The Worse Things Get . . . by Neko Case and Tame Impala (!).

I am obsessed with narwhals and love this pillow.

I have a friend with a birthday coming up. I think I will make her bacon muffins with a maple glaze.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Such pretty pictures!

This winter, for lack of a better word, sucked. All the snow is finally melted from our yard, the crocus are blooming & we're all suffering the sweet, sweet misery of allergies. Well, they are sweet this week considering a week ago we were still 'snowed in'.

Mama Gone Green said...

I am also obsessed with the new Beck. Love that narwhal pillow- so sweet!

I made maple bacon cupcakes for my daughters birthday last year and they were fantastic!